CAN DO, Inc. is a private, non-profit industrial/economic development corporation serving Greater Hazleton in Northeastern Pennsylvania, which is just a short drive from New York City, Philadelphia, Boston or Washington, D.C. Our coverage area includes portions of Luzerne, Schuylkill and Carbon counties. The Hazleton area is bordered on the west by Columbia County, east by the Lehigh River, north by Wilkes-Barre, and south by upper Schuylkill and Carbon counties.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life in the Greater Hazleton Area through the creation and retention of a full range of employment opportunities.
For 60 years, CAN DO has fostered economic activity in our community and has evolved into a one-stop shop for business and industry. Important functions include:
- Developer – Develops raw land by installing roads and infrastructure “to the curb” in the hope of attracting job creation projects with ready-to-go sites. To date, CAN DO has developed multiple industrial parks, an office/business park and the commercial park Humboldt Station.
- Builder – Constructs speculative buildings to have properties available for companies with an immediate requirement. CAN DO will also complete a project on a build-to-suit basis or erect a customized building as necessary.
- Landlord – Owns and leases industrial, office and commercial space throughout the community.
- Facilitator – CAN DO provides assistance in a variety of ways for incoming businesses including helping identify options for financing, training and construction, as well as working to meet municipal regulatory requirements.
- Utility Provider – As necessary, CAN DO constructs its own utilities to keep development prospering. Utilities provided by CAN DO include:
- Water – CAN DO owns and operates water systems in the Humboldt Industrial Park, McAdoo Industrial Park and the CAN DO Corporate Center.
- Sewage – CAN DO owns and operates its own sewage collection system and treatment plant in the Humboldt Industrial Park.
- Funding Assistance – CAN DO understands that financial assistance plays an integral role in the success of a project. We have five decades of experience in providing tailored, comprehensive funding packages that leverage federal, state, regional and local money.
- Business Liaison – CAN DO has the resources in place to help industries maintain and expand their local operations. A full-time economic development department serves as liaison between business and service providers so CAN DO can better address their needs.
- Business Incubator – CAN BE, together with Penn State Hazleton and several other agencies, provides local entrepreneurs with assistance in launching homegrown businesses. This assistance comes in the form of technical and business support, shared services in a business incubator and affordable rents.
The CAN DO spirit of vision, drive and determination brought about the rebirth of a proud community. That remarkable effort continues today with CAN DO’s talented, professional staff and dedicated volunteers to ensure success tomorrow and beyond! We will continue to acquire and develop the land and infrastructure needed to attract new industries and new jobs to Greater Hazleton. We will work with existing companies to provide them the support they need to flourish, and we will seek entrepreneurs with new ideas and help them turn those ideas into successful businesses.